Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What do we really want?

When in the course of our lives we start thinking about wants, needs, desires, do we ever stop to think "Oh hey, maybe what I want isn't the same thing as what God says I need"?

I want a job next year. But a friend of mine reminded me life is about desiring God, not earthly pleasures, and that maybe just because I want a job (so I can pay my bills) is not a sufficient reason for me to have a job.

I want to pass my classes. Okay, I want to do better than pass, I want to excel. But maybe that's not in the books either.

I'm trying, very hard, to stop saying "I need to do this" and say instead, "I want to this, but I acknowledge that it may not be what I need".  I mean, it may not work, but trying is better than sticking my head in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment