Monday, November 1, 2010

CSA 2010

As promised, the weekend was really a great time to be a celiac. I live tweeted the whole conference (my handle is traveling_girl) met lots of new friends, and even got to meet one of my favorite twitter friends: GlutenFreeDee. She and I have been communicating for quite some time through twitter, I found her while I was in England, and she kept me up to date on happenings on the Gluten-free front in America, and I shared all of the joys and pains of traveling gluten-free in a foreign country with her.
Folks, she's even cooler in person. As awesome as she is on twitter, facebook, and her blog, she's even more amazing when you get to stand there face to face and chat with her.

I also met this amazing dietitian and nutitionist, Bruce Homstead. He lives in Massachusetts, but is originally from Maine. Considering the Americorps option I want, I picked his brain for a bit, and then we talked longer and he helped me figure out some great strategies for dealing with being hypoglycemic.

I'm so full of joy right now. Inexplainable joy. These people (every single one that I can't sit here and list because this post would be too long) that cared, honestly cared, made me feel normal. All these "normal" people running around eating gluten-free food.
Oh, and the food.
The food was simply incredible. Salads, entrees, dinner bread, foccacia, biscuits, shortbread, strawberry shortcake, BBQ ribs, amazing side dishes (not JUST RICE!) and that's not even counting the samples from the vendor fair. I came home with a bag full of samples, giveaways, and two gifts from my two favorite companies, Glutino and Pamela's. I got to talk to both table for a bit, and told them how they saved my life, figuratively speaking. They made me love food and look forward to cookies and baked goods again, and I really wanted the companies to understand the service they perform. They made me a person, normal again. They didn't just provide a product, they provided morale and happiness. They both shoved a lot of free stuff in my hands because of it. In retrospect, I have to say, well played.

I also won a contest. I never win anything, so I was beyond shocked when they called my name at Saturday's lunch that I had won a drawing. I got a free bag of flour and a cute little tote bag that says "Celiac Sprue Association" on it with the logo. Sweet.

I am overwhelmed with medical and dietitian and nutritionist info. I was also one of two 20 somethings there, so I got my brain picked a lot (the other 20 something was staff). A lot, a lot. Everyone from Dee, to the nutritionist for the University of Kansas to the staff nutritionist for CSA wanted my opinion on how to reach the 20 something crowd. I gave out my contact info more times than I can count, invited phone calls, emails, etc.

I'm just fired up. I'm proud to be a Celiac now. It's not something I need to slink away from, it's who I am, I should just own it and go on with my life. That's right. I'm the cool one. :)

1 comment: